Linux is an open source and free operating system which is widely used because of the enhanced security being provided. It can’t be said that learning linux is easy as well as tough. However; before learning linux, there arises a need for installation of linux on the computer. How about a service that can let you learn linux online without the need of installing linux ? Learnining linux online without installing it is possible through a service called webminal. We will go through what webminal is and its features below.
What is webminal ?
Webminal is a free GNU/Linux online terminal with the help of which linux can be learnt online without the need of installing it on your computer. It helps in practicing various linux commands, learn file and process management etc., Not only does webminal provides users with the ability to learn and practice linux commands, it also helps you to interact with other users.
Features provided by Webminal
The following are the various features that webminal provides to its users which helps in learning linux, practicing commands, file management and process management.
- As said, no installation is required. This is an online linux/bash terminal
- The online service doesn’t mean to have your hands on one particular linux distro. It helps you practice and learn root commands on your preferred Linux Distro (CentOS or Ubuntu or Fedora)
- Various types of linux commands can be practiced online which include file system, file management, scripting in bash/awk/sed and mysql
- Webminal provides users with a storage space of 1MB which is good enough to store some files, learn and practice some linux commands.
- The maximum number of files that a user can create are 1000
- After creating files, these files can be shared by community members who can help with verifying/debugging the issue with the script or program.
- The maximum size of the file that can be created is 1 KB
- To prevent fork bomb, the users are allowed to run 10 processes simultaneously.
- Logging more than once is not possible unless and until he/she logs out from his/her previous session
- Users can also create groups and share files in those groups (similar to sharing information in facebook groups and google communities)
Mysql features provided by webminal
- The users are allowed to create upto 4 tables
- The maximum size of the database should be 200KB
- The maximum number of queries allowed to be executed per hour are 200
- 100 update queries per hour can be executed
- Only one mysql connection is allowed
- Users are not allowed to sniff around on other users databases
As with any other service, if any of the policies are violated, the user account will be blocked. The following are some of the videos which show how the terminal works online.
The following video demonstrates the process of logging into webminal, walkthrough on navigating to terminal and how to learn and practice linux commands using the terminal.
Video describing linux distro selection in webminal
As said, webminal lets you select a linux distro. Say for example, if you are ineterested in Fedora, you can choose to practice the comands using the particular linux distro.
The following is a walkthrough on how the terminal helps you to practice MySQL commands.
Do you know any other resources or tools which can help with learning linux? If yes, please do share your knowledge through comments and feedback.